365 days ago I had a baby.
While I remain firm that I'm going to be a Mommy of one forever, I do miss my newborn. I remember the day she was born so vividly, it seems like it was only yesterday. Last Fall was such a wonderful yet heartbreaking time in my life; I was celebrating the joy of bringing a new life into the world, a life Chase and I created, without my husband. I'm lucky I had my Mom with me... she camped out on my couch for the first two months of Natalie's life to help get me settled. Without her, I surely would have been committed. Those first days/nights were so rough; Natalie cried almost continuously, I was a nervous wreck and very lonely and Chase was fighting a war over 2000 miles away. Despite all of that, I was happy. Natalie brought me a type of joy I never knew existed and I finally understood what my Mom meant when she would say to my teenage self "One day, when you're a mother, you'll understand." Mom, I totally get it!
Over the past year I have watched my little girl grow into something and someone quite remarkable. From the first night home to first words and first steps, I've had the privilege to share it all with her. She's accomplished so much in her first year and I am so proud that's she's my daughter and I am honored God chose to give her to me.
Happy Birthday, sweet Natalie. I love you.
Here's what Natalie is doing now that she's ONE YEAR OLD!
*Walking
*Talking (in addition to "momma" and "dada" she can also say "button", "doggy", "thank you", "up" and "hi". Which actually sound like "butttssss", "duh duh", "Kayuuu", "uh" and "hiiiiiiiiii", respectively. In the morning when I get her out of bed and Andi is in the room, I will always wave and say "Hi Doggy", and then Natalie says "hiiiiiii duh duh".) I think it's amazing that she's mimicking me so well. The other night at dinner, Mom cleared her throat... and then so did Natalie. She's incredibly bright.
*Sorting things. She'll take an orange out of the fruit bowl... and then put it back.
*Following single step commands.
Natalie has had a big birthday weekend. Saturday, she hung out with her Dad all day long. I had a Junior League function for most of Saturday, so Natalie was Chase's side kick. They went to the drug store and the hardware store together. Sunday she celebrated her birthday in Durham and today she went to her very first NC State Fair! What a great way to spend your first birthday! She loved it, and was such a good girl.
Happy Birthday Nstalie!!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't this joy amazing? Six years and I still have the awestruck moments of reflecting on BB's time in my life. Happy Birthday to Natalie and congratulations to you, Mama!
ReplyDeletelovely post. congratulations momma! you made it! you're doing such a fantastic job.
ReplyDelete