
I love this time of year; from about October on I get in the holiday spirit. Halloween was extra special to me this year, because it really marked the kick off of the holidays. I used to be one of those people who would walk into Wal-Mart in mid October, see all the Christmas decorations and think "Seriously? What happened to Halloween?!", but not this year. The first time I was greeted by a spectacular Christmas display was during a trip to Lowe's at the beginning of October, and I smiled. I know that the big stores and venders are motivated by marketing and making a profit, but why should that dampen my mood?
Last holiday season was really hard for me, even though I had my beautiful baby girl and I was thankful, I just couldn't get in the mood. Not having Chase home and not knowing if he was safe really put a hiccup in my spirit. Now that Chase is home and we know he's safe, I'm ready for the holidays! I want to decorate, I've been baking like crazy, I can't stop humming Christmas carols and I love all the Christmas displays! I'm so grateful to have my family happy, healthy and together that the sight of Wal-Mart's Christmas aisle was like Rockefeller to me this year. Having my family together is what really makes the holidays so special to me; being married to the Army, I'm never sure what's around the corner next. Who knows? Chase might be deployed again next year, so I intend to live it up this season!
I've heard several of my friends talk about how they can't stand this time of year, or how they hate that the stores decorate so early, or that Christmas music shouldn't be played until December. BAH HUMBUG to all of you!
I think it would do us all a lot of good to welcome some holiday spirit in our lives no matter what time of year it it. All too often we remember to be thankful only in November, giving in December and believe in miracles only in spring. So when the holidays end and the new year rolls around, I resolve to live with the spirit all year long. I challenge all of you to do the same.
Love, Love, Love this post. I am a TOTAL Thanksgiving and Christmas LOVER! ha I definitely start listening to Christmas music about the middle of November, and our Christmas tree is up the Saturday after Thanksgiving! I knew we were kindred spirits! wink
ReplyDelete