Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Congratulations, it's a monkey!


Last night I had a dream I went to the doctor's office for my big ultrasound only to find out there was a problem. In my dream the ultrasound technician called my doctor, Dr. Johnstone, in to discuss the problem. So, in walks Dr. Johnstone only he looks like Hugh Laurie (someone misses her primetime TV, apparently). Dr. House... I mean Dr. Johnstone then tells me I'm having a hermaphrodite. Great. I tossed and turned all night long, I was nauseous and couldn't sleep. It didn't get much better throughout my day either... I was so anxious I couldn't concentrate and so nervous I couldn't eat. So I call my Mom for some much needed reassurance. The conversations went a little something like this:

Me: "Mom, I'm really nervous about the ultrasound today."

Mom: "It's not like it's going to be a monkey, Leigh. It's either girl or boy."

Me: "Thanks, Mom."

Of course she says it in her sweetest "mom" voice. Anyway, turns out she was wrong. We are having a little monkey, in the form of a BOY! I couldn't be happier... I was so worried I'd have another little girl and then I'd never be able to tell Natalie that she is definitively the most beautiful girl in the world or my favorite little girl or the sweetest little girl in the world, etc. At least not without having to share her title. Now I'll have the most beautiful girl and the most handsome boy.

It was great watching him during the ultrasound, he already takes after his big sister by sucking his thumb. At one point he even shoved his whole fist in his mouth! He weighs approximately 8 ounces and is growing right on target. Dr. Johnstone (the real one) said all of his organs/systems look wonderful and so far he's a healthy little boy. Music to my ears!

After my appointment today Mom and I took Natalie to Belk to buy her new baby brother some outfits, we essentially have to start all over again, everything we own is PINK! Even though boy clothes are significantly less exciting to shop for I felt warm and fuzzy while picking out things for my son. He's got a great start to a very "hip" wardrobe and big sister Natalie made out with some cute stuff too!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I am so excited for you three! I even would have loved a monkey, since he would have been a Blanton monkey! wink I think a little boy is a better friend for Graeme though! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son has such a nice ring to it! I totally heard Bev's sweet mom voice when I read your story too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete