Chase came home from work on Thursday night and surprised me by telling me he didn't have to go into work Friday. Friday morning when Natalie woke up and found her Daddy at home she said "It's just like Christmas!" She is so full of sweetness my heart is in a constant state of mush, which is helpful when she decides to let her less than sweet 2-year-old alter ego shine through. She loves her brother, not necessarily the attention he gets, but we're taking baby steps. She shows so much concern for him it's overwhelming; if he cries she rushes to his side, if I'm holding him during a crying jag she frantically rushes around the house searching for pacis, bottles, breast pumps, diapers, toys or anything she's seen us use to calm him. I usually end up with a small collection of aforementioned items on my lap. I love this picture because it illustrates how tender her little heart really is. How can someone so small and so young (both physically and emotionally) be so capable of such great compassion and love? Especially for another individual that has upset your entire world? I took this picture at the tale end of a walk when Nick was about one month old... I typically hate crying baby pictures, but I noticed Natalie was silently holding his hand while he cried. I think it's her way of letting him know she might not be able to fix it, or might not be able to make it better, but she will always be there.

So sweet. I love that you get to experience being the mother to that budding relationship. Their fights get a bit more tense (wink), but their love does as well! Even after 2 years, I am still mush!
ReplyDelete