Thursday, March 11, 2010

4 Month Check Up

Natalie had a doctor's appointment yesterday and it went really well! She's 26.5 inches long (96%) and 16.3 pounds (83%), she's more than doubled her birth weight (she's gained over 9 pounds already)! Dr. Manzo said because she's growing so rapidly her nutritional needs are changing and are more demanding; he suggested that I need to consider starting her on veggies. Wow! I need this first year to slow down! Apparently, the recommendations released by the American Academy of Pediatrics are changing concerning solids and car seats. Amazing that any of us survived... seems like they're always coming out with something better for our children. So from what I understand it's changing from solids AT 6 months, to solids BY 6 months (previously it was solids at 4-6 months so I'm not really sure how that's different. I guess they want you to definitely start earlier??? Or maybe it's based on your child's size and needs rather than lumping all babies into the same category???). And they've changed car seat recommendations from rear facing for 1 year to rear facing for 2 years! Geez! Anyway, Natalie got a shot and she did remarkably well. She stuck her pouty lip out and whimpered but never cried... such a sweet little baby! Dr. Manzo said she looked perfect and whatever I'm doing to keep it up! And then he said "Let's talk about you, you look sick." Gee thanks, butt head. So Natalie left with a clean bill of health, and Mommy left with a prescription. Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the good checkup! I love how all parenting issues have supporting evidence on both sides of the spectrum. Solids early/Solids later, car seats in the middle/car seats on the side, cry it out/no cry, etc... It is quite amazing we all have lived this long! ha Hope you start feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy, You're right! I think ultimately we've got to put down the books and do what's right for our children as individuals. I had my heart set on nursing exclusively for 6 months (and still wish I could have) but my body just wasn't able to keep up with Natalie's more demanding caloric needs. My doctor reassured me that some babies are ready and some are not... Think about this: We're from the generation of being put to sleep on our tummies! How in the heck are we still here? That reassures me as does Natalie's eagerness and ability to eat solids. And speaking of car seats... when you had only one babe in the back, where did you put yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she is doing well with the solids. I can't believe our babies are old enough to be having this discussion!!! AHHH! I put Ceilidh on the side behind me. We were told during birthing classes, that a car seat could become a flying object if ever hit from behind through the windshield. I put her on my side b/c they say you are more apt to protect the side of the car you are during a split second decision. BUT.... I was definitely yelled at by the homeless man in S.P. one day b/c if I was T-boned she would have been safer in the middle. HA! (I will tell you that story later! wink) Like you said, you have to do what feels right to you! You just need to have a sibling for Natalie so the decision would be made for you! wink

    By the way: instead of blog chatting, we need to have a face-to-face chat! I miss you. Make sure you call me when you come up this way!

    ReplyDelete