Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vampira

SHE BIT ME! I've been prepared for this day ever since I saw the very first sliver or pearly white in her gums. In fact, I'm surprised it took this long. She held out for two months, but yesterday the temptation was too great. She bit down on me with all her might, and I yelped. Thinking that would scare her or hurt her feelings, I looked down at her ready to comfort her. No need, she thought this was absolutely hilarious. I thought maybe, even though she thought it was funny, my point might have gotten across to her. Nope. She promptly bit me again! This time I pulled her away and very sternly said "Natalie, NO!" to which I received the most pitiful little pout and whimper. I felt awful, I hurt her little feelings. It was the first time I've seen her cry for a reason other than necessity, like hunger, pain, sleepy or being dirty. But the good news is, there was no more biting... until later that day. The whole process repeated itself again! Little stinker! I was sure that one good experience with hurt feelings would cure her urge to bite, not my child. Now I'm afraid she's going to associate nursing with a negative experience because she gets yelled at every time! Last time we nursed it took her forever to latch on (we have NEVER had that problem, not even the first time!) and she kept look up at me with this concerned look on her face, as if she was expecting me to punish her. Mommy friends, I need you help!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the biting! With Ceilidh and Graeme both, I did exactly what you did (pulling them off and firmly saying no), and they didn't do it again. Natalie has reached the age where she is going to start testing your reaction to things she does. She is just "learning" the world around her. No worries, she isn't going to associate nursing with punishment! wink She will get back to her "old nursing" self soon enough! Hang in there, oh and welcome to the stage of discipline, "no" and then distraction! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy, exactly!
    No and distraction.
    Your only line of defense.

    ReplyDelete