




I can't remember when my parents joined Trinity Avenue Presbyterian Church, but I know it was when I was very young. Our church is known for having a beautiful choir (the NC Symphony accompanies them quite often, they even played the Trumpet Jubilee at my wedding), exceptionally moving sermons, large outreach programs and exquisite ceremonies. It's a large gothic style church with beautiful stained glass windows and incredibly ornate organ pipes that seem to reach Heaven. As a young girl I would sit down in church and open our program for the day hoping to see the large print that read: "Sacrament of Baptism". I loved it when babies were Christened. I loved the beautiful gowns, the smiles of all the parishioners and the sound of what I consider to be the most beautiful hymn ever sung... "O Loving Father". Even as a young girl that hymn made me cry; as the preacher walked the baby up and down the aisles of our church we would sing the short two verse hymn, and at the end the entire congregation would hum until he was finished introducing the baby to his or her new church family. I knew one day I would have a baby of my own, and I knew I would Christen her at TAPC.
That day was Sunday May 16, 2010. As we walked in the sanctuary I was reminiscent of my wedding day, I remembered walking down that very aisle to marry Chase, and now here we were over five years later, Christening our baby girl. It was even more special because the man that married us was able to Christen Natalie. We stood in front of the congregation during the ceremony, it was beyond moving. I don't think there was a dry eye from the first three pews where my family sat. I kept hearing blubbering sounds coming from Natalie's fan section! I held it together pretty well, standing up there in front of everyone, even when Donovan anointed her little head with the Christening water. And then came "O Loving Father", and I lost it. The only saving grace was that Natalie wouldn't let go of the pink Christening program and insisted on holding onto it through out the entire ceremony, which made me giggle.
It was perfect though, as I watched Donovan walk up and down the church aisles with Natalie, and watched everyone greet her with warm smiles as they sung my favorite hymn, I remembered myself as a little girl sitting there stretching my neck to see the little one. I was very proud and very happy, and as I looked at the people standing next to me (her Father and Godparents) and the three rows of people who love Natalie, I was thankful to God.
This post makes me smile/cry. I am thankful for her little life as well!
ReplyDelete