Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Truth #17/ Buela

*If you have a weak stomach you might not want to read this post*

I'm a big baby.

Chase had to take me to the ER in the middle of the night on Sunday and I was a complete baby. Here's the story:

I've had a cyst on my sternum for almost a decade now; it has never caused me any trouble or pain. In fact it was so benign that my former dermatologist recommended not doing anything about it and just leaving it until if and when it started to cause trouble. Well, trouble began about a month ago. One day while cuddling with Natalie she picked her head up off my chest and SLAMMED it down right on top of the cyst. It didn't really hurt, I never thought anything of it until a few days later when it started getting bigger. To make a long story short, what used to be a small cyst the size of a pea grew into a red, swollen, extremely painful and angry mass about the size of a silver dollar. So to the doctor I went. He prescribed antibiotics and referred me to a dermatologist. I took the medicine and made my appointment with the dermatologist (which isn't until January 7th, by the way). Over the course of my meds it got better, and all was well until.... Natalie reared back and clocked me in the chest again. And then all Hell broke loose. It grew even bigger and angrier and more painful than ever before. It was such a constant pain that I never had one moment in the day that I wasn't constantly worried about it and counting down the days until January 7th. It got so bad Chase even named it... "Buela Dacyst". Sunday night Buela hurt so badly I couldn't sleep, I laid there perfectly still trying to will away the throbbing pain and eventually at 4 a.m. I woke Chase up and told him we had to have something done about it. (This is where it gets kind of gross.... OK, really gross). We called and woke Mom up and she came over to watch Natalie while Chase took me to my appointment with certain doom. Luckily the ER was completely empty and I saw a doctor right away. I told him about Buela and that I had been on antibiotics and it's still pretty bad. He took one look at Buela and said "We're doing this now".... grrrrreat, that can't be good. The doc told me he was going to numb Buela really well which completely took my worry away, boy was I dumb. That shot was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, I'd rather have a baby. I mean, it was absolutely excruciating. I cried, swore, writhed and moaned. It. was. awful. And it never felt numb, just achey (It was numb, though... I didn't feel the actual lancing). I'll spare you the details of what happened next, just know it wasn't pretty. After the whole life altering even I'm left with an open wound on my chest stuffed with gauze that's hanging out like a worm. It's so disgusting it makes me shudder. I've had anxiety and nausea for the past two days just thinking about it. I am NOT looking forward to being tortured at my appointment today. I'm such a baby. Pray for me.

2 comments:

  1. um....yikes! This sounds awful, Leigh. I'm really sorry. I hope everything goes well with your follow-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good grief! i didn't know this was going on you poor thing! sounds very painful and wretched. i didn't think the post was gross. i kept expecting you to say something like "the e.r. doc discovers it's not a cyst but a..." fill in with whatever you deem grossest. thanks for sharing. i laughed at your cute way with words and story telling, but grimaced for your pain. hope it heals fast!

    ReplyDelete