Sunday, January 2, 2011

Truth #21


I have a love/hate relationship with my Blackberry, and I've decided to end it.

I definitely understand why people call them "crackberries" now. I originally got mine when Chase was deployed last year. I was so terrified of missing a phone call or email from either Chase or FRG that I/we decided the only way I would ever be able to leave the house was if I had a phone with calling/texting/chatting/internet capabilities. My feelings were only solidified when I missed Chase's very first call home from Iraq while at a Junior League event. When I came home and saw the answering machine blinking, my heart sank; I got my blackberry the very next day. I remember when I bought it, the sales person said to me "This phone can do pretty much anything you want it to, short of launching itself into orbit.", I should have known then it was too much phone for me. I have used probably only three of the hundreds of applications the phone has, and I no longer use the internet or chat applications. Chase and I have agreed that this next deployment will involve significantly less talk time. Basically, neither one of us will have the time or the energy to talk for long periods of time (God bless him for putting up with me during his previous deployment. Being pregnant/a new mother with a husband in a war zone is an equation for long phone conversations.). He'll check in regularly, like last time, and again I'll send out mass emails letting everyone know he's safe. (I'm sure you've figured out he's deploying again, if you want details, let's have lunch!) Anyway, our "less talk time" agreement completely negates the need for my crackberry. But not only do I not need the phone, it's a complete piece of crap. Never have I had so many issues with a phone. It jams, crashes, dies, pocket calls, texts incessantly (those of you who regularly text with me know what I'm talking about), mutes randomly, alarms and just down right doesn't work. I've had to replace it twice because it has completely messed up (once because I lost it)I will miss the weather app and and facebook app, but that's about it. I'm looking forward to a regular ol' phone again, not to mention the $100 I'll save each month by getting rid of the blackberry.

So there's a good possibility I'll be sending out an email asking for phone number in the near future.... again.

1 comment:

  1. China & I are going to need lunch to hear about where Chase is off to now - we were just talking about a future deployment the day before this post. <3

    ReplyDelete